Moving can be one of the most stressful experiences of our lives, but a little bit of advanced planning can go a long way in alleviating hassles and anxiety. Follow this suggested timeline to make your next move as seamless as possible.
8 Weeks before Your Move
- Research moving companies. Ask for recommendations from friends and family, look at Yelp and Google reviews, and narrow it down to three options.
- Contact these moving companies to discuss quotes on and availability on your desired date.
- Sort through your sheds, closets and storage containers and begin sorting items you do not want to take with you.
- Start using the food items (frozen foods, canned goods, etc.) and cleaning supplies that you won’t be moving.
- Notify your landlord if you are renting.
6 Weeks before You Move
- If you’re moving to a new town, contact the tourism office or visit the city’s website for information about your new location.
- Hold a yard sale or donate the belongings you no longer want.
- Notify your doctor, dentist, vet, lawyer, accountant, children’s school, etc. about the move. Get copies of your records and ask for referrals when necessary.
- Book your moving company.
4 Weeks before You Move
- Update your newspaper and magazine subscriptions, credit cards, and other organizations with your new address and the date of your move.
- If moving in or out of a building with an elevator, reserve it for your moving date.
- Contact your utility companies and begin the process of closing your services at the current address and moving them to the new one.
- Complete and submit a ‘change of address’ card at your local post office.
- Update your insurance policies to move coverage from your existing location to your new address.
3 Weeks before You Move
- Pick up moving supplies. The UPS Store offers a wide range of materials, from boxes to tape to packing peanuts.
- Begin packing non-essential items.
- Contact your bank to close or move your accounts.
2 Weeks before You Move
- If you’re moving by car, have it checked and serviced.
- Finish packing and boxing everything but your essentials.
1 Week before You Move
- Ship large or fragile items you don’t want to move using a trusted company like The UPS Store.
- Arrange disposal of any items that can’t be thrown in the regular garbage (old electronics, paint, batteries, etc.).
- In a suitcase, pack the essential documents, clothing, toiletries, medicine, bedding, etc. that you will need for the first night or two at your new place.
- Call to confirm the date and time with your moving company, elevator booking, etc.
- Arrange to have your new place cleaned thoroughly before your arrival.
1 Day before You Move
- Clean out your fridge, freezer and cupboards.
- Make a final sweep of all of your storage areas to ensure you’re not missing anything.
- Once everything has been packed and organized, do one final clean.
- Ensure you have enough cash to tip movers.
- Accompany your movers as they check the inventory and condition of your belongings before they put anything in their truck. Point out any fragile items.
- Make note of your utility metre readings (gas, electric, water, etc.).
- Conduct a final sweep before leaving to ensure you have not forgotten anything, turn off lights, and lock windows and doors.
The UPS Store is your one-stop shop for moving supplies and support. From expert advice to packing materials, let us help you make your move easier. Learn more.