Tips for a Stress-Free Move
It’s summer, and that means Canadians are on the move. According to a recent survey by DuProprio, 28% of Canadian homeowners feel the urge to pack up and move every five years. Summer is the hottest month in moving, with the wheels turning coast to coast as Canadians across the country gear up for a change of scenery.
If you’re planning a move this summer, consult our checklist below to ensure it goes smoothly and that you have the correct packing materials.
- Don’t dumpster dive. Instead of salvaging for used boxes at the local supermarket, which often aren’t sturdy enough to withstand a move, invest in new boxes that are specially engineered to withstand the stress of a move.
- Inform your contacts of your new address. Fill out a Change of Address card at Canada Post.
- Update your subscriptions. Change your address on any magazines and newspapers you subscribe to, and contact your bank to order cheques that feature your new address.
- Dispose of household waste properly. Opened paint cans, medicines, cleaning supplies, batteries and used electronic equipment should not be discarded in the regular garbage. Check your city’s official website to see where you can drop off these items for disposal.
- Pack wisely. Label your belongings based on the room and the contents of each box, and pack items that you will need immediately in separate boxes. If you have any especially valuable or fragile items, mark them “do not move” and transport them yourself.
- Leave it to the professionals to pack large, expensive or irreplaceable items.
- Gather confidential records. Create a file with medical records, financial documents, birth certificates, passports, legal documents, insurance information, etc. and take it with you instead of leaving it for the movers to transport.
- Pack a suitcase of first-night essentials, including toilet paper, cleaning supplies, clean sheets, a change of clothes, toiletries and light bulbs.
- Keep receipts. You may be able to claim some of your moving expenses come tax time.
- Buy enough of the right materials. By using the right packaging materials, including bubble pack and foam packaging peanuts, there is less chance that your dishes or family heirlooms will end up in pieces. Use the chart below to estimate the amount of packing supplies you will need:
|Size of Home||Moving Supplies Needed|
|1-2 Bedroom Apartment||
|Medium Home (3 bedroom, 2 bath)||
|Large Home (4 bedroom, 2 bath)||
The UPS Store is staffed with Certified Packing Experts® who take great care in securing your items for moving. We uphold quality packaging standards for the safe arrival of your belongings. We also have a wide range of moving supplies available for sale.